Middlesbrough & Cleveland Harriers

Logo

Established 1893

Our Club

History

The original ‘Middlesbrough Harriers’ was formed in 1893 and had its headquarters at the Kings Head Hotel, which is now Debenhams. Interestingly the locations of the club’s committee meetings since those early days have all been in various watering holes in the town; The Criterion, Lord Raglan, Erimus Hotel, Borough Hotel, Newport Hotel, Marquis of Granby, Cleveland Hotel and the current location of Middlesbrough Bowling Club.

In the early years the club’s training ground was Stockton racecourse (Teesside Park nowadays) with one of its first members being Michael Conway who became the individual winner of the 1910 NE Counties Cross Country title with the club also winning the team title.

In 1938 an internal dispute in the club led to three prominent members resigning and forming a new club – Cleveland Harriers – and the two clubs went their separate ways until 1948 when the rift was healed and the two clubs amalgamated to form the present Middlesbrough and Cleveland Harriers.

About Us

The club competes in a wide range of events over the course of the year. We have a series of Mens and Womens Road Races, chosen by the members of the club to take part in. During spring/summer we compete in the NYSD Track and Field League as well as the Northern Track League.

Our Cross country Season starts in September and runs through to March, where we compete in the local NYSD league. We also take part in the North Eastern, Northern and National Cross Country Championships.

While our training has a competitive element, it is open to athletes of all ages and abilities so if you are thinking about giving it a go, come along to one of our training sessions!.